I asked a few people where Art is in this picture. You don’t have to be a Solomon to rightly guess the beautiful barocco church. Yet, it is somehow funny, because:
- Those [m]ad men who designed the ugly advertising billboards believed they were making Art.
- Skyscraper architects believed them to be Art.
- Car designers believed the shapes and lines they’d designed were Art.
- I am sure that the guy behind the lamp posts believed his elegant creations were Art.
- And only the architect of the beautiful church had not been even aware what Art was. He was just doing his job, creating as much harmony and beauty, as he could.
Well, we all know that Art is not just about beauty. It is the Kantian, 18th century view on Art. Since then the definition of Art has been reviewed at least a hundred times, and is still under review.
But still, guys. It’s the church that the eye enjoys and savours.